Jason
November 22, 2014, 09:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting out and ankle pain  (Read 15392 times)
trickstar

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »

As a serious runner for over 25 years I was used to running in 'proper' running shoes.  Heeded all the advice and got annoyed by the shoe companies changing brands just as I found a pair I liked.  For 10 years I was wearing heavily supportive shoes and custom orthotics for plantar fascitis.  Then I move to New Zealand from the UK and spent a huge part of the year barefoot or in flip flops because of the hotter weather.  This got me thinking about my running and I eventually ditched the orthotics and started running in less supportive shoes.  However March 2010 I really started noticing pain/discomfort around my ankle bone.  In June 2010 on a trip to the UK the weather was hot and I decided this was the time to go barefoot or minimalist shoes for running or I started out walking and my feet left as if they were on fire for a month.  But I persisted.  When I got back home I carried on just walking in minimalist shoes (converse sneakers with the innersoles ripped out) then as the weather improved huaraches from invisible shoes dot com.  I was still experiencing the same ankle pain and swelling especially walking downhill.  I haven't done this walk for a while , it is the route I walk my children to school.  But it is return to school next week and I test out my ankles.  During the 6week break from school I was walking barefoot from my home but I've the concrete footpaths are way too rough, its amazing what textures you notice .  So I started jogging a tiny bit on a bike path near my house and it feels great but it very much baby steps.  My blog has some pictures and more detail realtri.blogspot.com  This is a long post but I have been waiting for somewhere to share experiences and I was wondering has anybody else experienced such a painful transition to to barefooting.
Jason
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:41 AM »

Can you give a bit more info on the nature of the ankle pain?  Specifically, where is it located? 
a2dan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »

I guess I have a similar experience, though less extreme both in my experience as a runner and my pain.  I've run for over a decade and moved from neutral-cushioned shoes to adding off the shelf orthotics.  Was fitted for custom orthotics, but before I really began using them, I began experimenting with minimalist running.  Once I started running (in vff's), the knee pain and lower back pain I had dealt with for years vanished.  Absolutely fell in love with running again.  I liked it so much, I started stretching my long runs too far too soon, and aggravated my achilles.  I've taken a couple months off to rest it, while I do PT and ice, and have just started running again.

Jason, I have assumed the achilles is from "too much too soon," but does that ring true in your experience?  My doc is also a runner who is a trainer at EMU (Ypsi) and has read a bit about bfr, but he hasn't tried it yet.  Last I saw him, he was considering it for himself, too, which would be great for me!  He diagnosed the achilles as resulting from overuse and advised RICE, along with exercises and stretches.  Just wondering if that makes sense to you, too, or if you have experienced/heard of anything similar. 

(Sorry for the longish post).
Jason
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:29 AM »

I guess I have a similar experience, though less extreme both in my experience as a runner and my pain.  I've run for over a decade and moved from neutral-cushioned shoes to adding off the shelf orthotics.  Was fitted for custom orthotics, but before I really began using them, I began experimenting with minimalist running.  Once I started running (in vff's), the knee pain and lower back pain I had dealt with for years vanished.  Absolutely fell in love with running again.  I liked it so much, I started stretching my long runs too far too soon, and aggravated my achilles.  I've taken a couple months off to rest it, while I do PT and ice, and have just started running again.

Jason, I have assumed the achilles is from "too much too soon," but does that ring true in your experience?  My doc is also a runner who is a trainer at EMU (Ypsi) and has read a bit about bfr, but he hasn't tried it yet.  Last I saw him, he was considering it for himself, too, which would be great for me!  He diagnosed the achilles as resulting from overuse and advised RICE, along with exercises and stretches.  Just wondering if that makes sense to you, too, or if you have experienced/heard of anything similar. 

(Sorry for the longish post).

Absolutely.  The strain on the Achilles can be considerable.  Traditional raised-heel running shoes (and almost all non-running shoes) chronically shorten the Achilles.  This is one of the most common issues new barefoot/minimalist shoe runners face.  Patience and listening to your body will go a long way to minimizing or preventing the problem, and RICE and stretching will help fix it.

Best of luck!
KÜGS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:27 AM »

Very often pain in the Achilles Tendon is due to a problem with, or hypertonicity (tightness) of the Soleus muscle.

Check out www.TrekoClinics.com. Scott Hadley who runs the website, and gets a few mentions in Jason's book (which is well worth the read) has a free video on the website where he talks about getting stuck into the Soleus muscle to relieve the pain referring to the Achilles Tendon

Athlete, Coach, Chiropractic Student
www.KÜGS.co.nz
trickstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:05 PM »

The pain is under the knobbly ankle bone (the Malleolus the bony prominence on each side of the ankle) on the inside.  The more I don't wear shoes the better it gets, I really just put it down to it being very weak from the use of orthotics.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: