Jason
November 27, 2014, 03:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Running Photos that don't suck  (Read 4112 times)
bmulnix

View Profile Email
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »

Well since I take photos for a living, I would like to chime in a little about taking photos while running. 

Number 1 Rule of Photographing while running... Stop to take a photo. 
   Explanation is simple.  If you take the time to carry a camera with you, its really important you use it.  Also by stopping you will get a better shot than while running. 

Number 2 Rule of Photographing while running... Carry a camera
   If you don't take a camera you can't take photos.  Pretty simple rule, but too many times I have found myself in the coolest places, without a camera.  A camera attached to a phone is a good backup, but you wont be winning any National Geographic on assignment awards for photos taken from a camera phone.  There are a lot of great cameras out there that are light and simple to use.  Some even have video. 

Number 3 Rule of Photographing while running... Stop to take the photo
   I know its the same as Rule number 1, but no training run is that important for the most of us to not stop and enjoy the view.  Take the photo and share it with others.  I really wished I had a camera this one night I ran into a drunk trying to find his way home at 2 AM in the middle of no where.  Boy the look on his face when he saw a crazy runner with a head lamp come running by.  A photo is worth a thousand and 2 words.
Jason
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Brandon!  Any more advanced tips?
fred

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »

I have a question on this:

I have a beautiful compact-sized camera, a Canon S95, and I use a 4x10oz Nathan running belt on my trail runs. Here's the problem: if I'm going to carry my camera, I have nowhere to put a bar/gel/food/keys. Space/weight is at a premium on runs, so do you have suggestions for what kind of pack to wear, or for other creative ways to carry a camera?
bmulnix

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »

At 6oz this Camera is a great camera to haul around without too much extra work.  You can find a number of great options at your local camera store.  http://www.normancamera.com/TAMRAC-5690-COMPACT-DIGITAL-BAG-BLUE.html- is a link to the Tamrac 5690.  This is just one case of many that are available out there.  Instead of putting your camera where you stash your much needed food and keys, add a pouch that will protect your camera without weighing you down.  I have this same problem with my hydration pak and the pocket doesn't fit my camera.  Makes it difficult to have easy access to my camera.   Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: