Jason
September 20, 2014, 12:55:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transitioning  (Read 3293 times)
jzeigler83

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »

I've been running in shoes since August 2009.  I am now considering barefoot/minimalist running.  Currently I have a knee issue that I'm recovering from and I plan on starting to transition into barefoot/minimalist running once my knee feels 100%.  So I was wondering what the best way to transition into barefoot/minimalist running is.  I have researched a little and I know that the process can require great patience and I am prepared for that.  Right now my plan is to try running barefoot for a short distance at the end of a 2-3 mile run (hoping that since my muscles will be nice and warmed up that I will have less risk of injury).  I plan on doing this a couple times a week for a few weeks before trying an entire run completely barefoot.  From there I will probably throw a couple of barefoot runs into my regular routine each week and play it by ear, increasing or decreasing my barefoot running in response to how my body reacts.

So am I headed down the right path here?  Is it better to work barefoot running into my regular shoe-wearing running routine, gradually increasing the proportion of barefoot running over time.  Or is it better to try to go all out barefoot, just starting out at very low mileage and working it up very slowly?

Any advice is welcome.  I wouldn't mind to hear how other people transitioned into barefoot running.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

jzeigler83
Jason
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:38 AM »

I always recommend people start out doing only barefoot instead of trying to work it in with regular shoes simply because the form used in each is quite different.  Of course, many people have transitioned using your plan, but there seems to be more complications and the transition takes a bit longer. 

Generally speaking, if you are patient, listen to your body, and work on mastering the basic elements of good barefoot form, pretty much any plan will work.
macmhagan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »

I was not a big runner before, but I did run a bit and I play soccer alot.  Nevertheless I still needed to transition from a heel strike.  I started my transition in some worn out indoor soccer shoes.  The soles were thin, plus I took out the insoles, however they still had a bit of a heel.  I soon bought VFF Sprints.  I don't remember if I pulled the muscles in my calves before I got the VFF's or after but either way I believe that if I had started my transition completely barefoot I would not have done to much too soon.  Even minimal shoes allowed me to push the pace too much and injure myself.  It's been eight months and I am finally able to run consistently 1-2 times a week for longer distances than I have since I was 20 (I'm 40 now).

What ended up working for me was to run a mile or two barefoot first to warm up and then when my feet got a bit rough I would put on my VFF's and finish my run.  Running like this was really enjoyable and I can't wait until warmer weather to continue this and to increase my barefoot mileage.
a2dan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »

I've been running in shoes since August 2009.  I am now considering barefoot/minimalist running.  Currently I have a knee issue that I'm recovering from and I plan on starting to transition into barefoot/minimalist running once my knee feels 100%. 

FWIW, and I am far from an expert, the knee pain I felt from shod running disappeared quickly after I switched to minimalist.  Having said that, I did not transition by going barefoot first, as Jason recommends, and regret it now.  (I hadn't found this site yet, nor had I read KenBob's advice either).  I developed achilles tendinitis, probably from transitioning and increasing my mileage too quickly.  Once the snow is gone and it's somewhat warmer here in Michigan, I will do full barefoot, ramp up gradually and hope that my achilles does not bother me anymore.

Also, I will say that the tendinitis I have dealt with the past couple months is nothing compared to the sore knees and back I had as a shod runner.  Then, I always felt I was doing lasting damage to my body, whereas I now feel all I have is an injury that will heal. 
Monkey Feet

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:48:43 AM »

It took me three months to transition to a BF running distance of 25km and 6 months to get into Ultra distance.  Personally i just got rid of the bad shoes after a couple of failed attempts to mix BF with shod running. It was the right choice as far as I am concerned.  I think by doing so I made the transition faster because when I wanted to run it had to be in either BF or minimalist shoes.

Another big change I made was to get rid of all my old regular shoes and get all minimalist shoes. I think this helped with improving the strength of my feet while I was just walking around, plus it was such a great feeling to always feel so connected with the ground.  I even took out the inners.  I went with Terra Plana as they have a good selection of shoes that you can get away with wearing to work and just out and about. Although you can do that in Vibrams you will spend a lot of time answering questions about the Monkey Feet.

Take it really easy in the transition, injury free running is waiting for you when you get there, but on the way, if you push it too hard, you may well really hurt yourself.
jzeigler83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice.  I ordered 'The Barefoot Running Book' and can't wait for it to get here so I can finish reading it (I've already read the free preview).  I plan on starting to transition after the book gets here.
dmcchesney

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

I walked around every day in my KSO's for a month while training with my shoes. I ran the race in my shoes then went straight running and walking in my VFF's. Now I have the Minimus's for work, KSO's for everyday and bare feet for running!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: