website statistics

Merrell Mix Master 2 Review: New Offering in the M-Connect Series

Jun 21, 2012 | 15 Comments

I’ve been on a VERY long quest to find an ideal mountain running shoe. My standard trail running shoe, Merrell’s Trail Glove, performs like a champ in 90% of the conditions I encounter on my travels. However, that remaining 10% has been a continuous problem. I needed a shoe that provided a little more protection but didn’t interfere with running gait. The shoe had to be lightweight as I would be using it for […]

Tread Lightly: The Most Important Running Book Ever Written

May 29, 2012 | 12 Comments

Shelly and I have been on the road for the last 10 days, so my posting has been infrequent. The trip is almost done, but this post NEEDED to go up today.

I just finished reading Pete Larson and Bill Katovsky’s new book “Tread Lightly: Form, Footwear, and the Quest for Injury-Free Running.” Over the next week or so, I’ll dive into many of the topics Pete and Bill discuss throughout the book. Here’s […]

Merrell Bare Access Review

Jan 3, 2012 | 25 Comments

When I first heard of Merrell’s plan to produce a zero dropped cushioned shoe, I was dismayed.  I have been a long-term opponent to any cushioning in shoes.  The main reason is simple- cushioning increases the force of your foot landing.  For a barefoot runner, this is a big deal.  Cushioning turns our normally-gentle foot landing into a clomping trot.  Unless we consciously lighten our stride.  The problem is that cushioned shoes require you to […]

Stem Origins Review

Dec 29, 2011 | 5 Comments

Stem is one of a group of minimalist shoe upstarts that have hit the scene over the last year or so.  Their founder Andrew Rademacher has an interesting story that would resonate with many.  Over the last year or so I’ve loosely followed Andrew’s development of the Origins shoe.  Most initial attempts at minimalist shoes are… well, pretty bad.  I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

First Impressions

The Origins is an aesthetically-pleasing shoe.  The color scheme is a […]

Vibram Five Fingers SeeYa Review: The Best VFF Since the KSO?

Dec 10, 2011 | 7 Comments

I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Five Fingers.  When I started barefoot running, they did not exist.  My minimalist shoes consisted of a collection of ill-fitting aqua socks.  When Barefoot Ted first wrote about them back in 2006 or so, I immediately bought a pair- black KSOs.

The shoes were awesome!  The fit was far superior to the aqua socks and they lasted more than 100 miles.  I wore them for […]

New Balance MT110 Review

Dec 9, 2011 | 17 Comments

I’ve been on a quest for the perfect mountain running shoe for some time.  My current preferred shoe is the Merrell Trail Glove.  This shoe works great over the vast majority of mountain trails- as long as I can see the trail and am not fatigued.  This really only becomes an issue in 100 milers in the mountains, so a specialized trail running shoe isn’t on my “absolute necessity” list.

Having said that, a mountain trail shoe that offered […]

New Balance MR00 Minimus Zero Road Review

Dec 6, 2011 | 10 Comments

The first generation of the Minimus Road sucked.  It felt like the designers spent all their time and innovation on the Minimus Trail, then phoned in the Road design.  It was only marginally better than the Newton Sir Issac I reviewed a few years ago.  They felt bulky and inflexible.

You know when you were a kid and you’d put boxes on your feet and march around the house at Christmas?  That’s a close […]

New Balance MT00 Minimus Trail Zero Review

Dec 4, 2011 | 11 Comments

2012.  This will be the year of the minimalist shoe.  I guarantee it.  Several manufacturers are developing minimalist shoes, which I would define as any shoe that allows you to run with the same form you’d use if barefoot, that satisfy our needs.  Long gone are the days of hacking up a pair of water shoes to retrofit something that would offer a little protection.

So why is 2012 going to be the year of the minimalist shoe?  Because niches […]