Well, the 2011 Mind the Ducks 12 Hour Ultra is in the books. The event was a blast! Here are some highlights:
- Jesse Scott was the overall winner with 77.24 miles
- The Hobby Joggas did exceptionally well, including Rick Robbins and Brandon Mulnix surpassing 60 miles, Mark Robillard knocking on the door with 59.5, Stuart Peterson and Tony Schaub topping 50 miles, amd Ryan Hansard just missing the mark with 49.6. Shelly and Emily Mulnix each surpassed 30 miles. John DeVries, who does not train as a runner, hammered out over 20 miles.
- Shelly and I had a chance to meet our Interweb friends Angie Hotz (Barefoot Angie Bee) and Vanessa Rodriguez (Vanessa Runs), and catch up with friends Robert Shackleford, the Viggianos, and a host of others.
- Speaking of Shelly, she was rocking her super-sexy plaid running skirt (see links to pics below)
- We held a barefoot/ minimalist shoe clinic at Crossfit 585. We had a great crowd, thanks Adam!
- There were a ton of barefoot/minimalist shoe runners. I would confidently say a third of the field took the minimalist route for the entire race with a few more shoddies ditching their shoes at some point.
- We experienced our typical road-trip shenanigans involving Family Guy, Jon Lajoie, and Raptor Jesus. Most is too offensive to publish.
- I was hit with the flu for the trip, which resulted in a lackluster race performance. On the positive side, I was able to frequently monitor the port-a-potties to assure everything was in working order.
There are plenty of other highlights which I’ll document in an official race report in the coming week or so. Since I spent significant time on the sidelines, I had a chance to take some pictures. They are posted on Facebook:
Also check out Shelly Viggiano’s Race Director’s report here.
Up next- the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival in New Gloucester, Maine. This will include a barefoot/minimalist clinic, barefoot 5k, and a 50 mile ultra I plan on using as my last really long Western States training run. Anyone planning on being there? Leave a comment!