This weekend, I have the opportunity to participate in John Durant’s 1st Annual New York City Barefoot Run on Governor’s Island. John has done an exceptional job planning this event. It is going to be one of the biggest barefoot running events held in the U.S. The schedule will go something like this:
Saturday October 9th:
- 9-10am- Dr. Daniel Howell, author of “The Barefoot Book“, will talk at Tip Top Shoes (Upper West Side, 155 W. 72nd St., NYC)
- 1-4pm- Barefoot Ted McDonald, Daniel, and myself will conduct barefoot running clinics in Central park (located at Mineral Springs near the Le Pain Quotidien in the park at about 68th St. slightly on the west side)
- 7-10pm- Dr. Dan Lieberman will talk, followed by a panel discussion moderated by John, including Dr. Lieberman, Erwan Le Corre, Ted, Daniel, and myself ; followed by a Q&A session; followed by some free time to hang out, all taking place at Terra Plana (260 Elizabeth St., NYC)
Sunday, October 10th:
- 8:15am- Run on Governor’s Island, NYC (see website for registration details)
- 10:00- Runner’s raffle, demonstrations, and mini-clinics
I feel very fortunate to be a part of something so huge, and am grateful John asked me to participate. I DO feel a little bit like the garage band opening for the multi-platinum rock stars. I am a huge fan of each of these guys. Ted was one of my original idols when I started barefoot running, especially when it came to ultras. Lieberman has added more scientific legitimacy to the practice of barefoot running thanks to his excellent research, which my experimental psychologist dork persona loves. Erwan is simply amazing… MovNat was one of my inspirations to ditch my “bodybuilder” workouts in favor of developing functional fitness. Howell’s recent book is a huge contribution to the field. Personally, it has taught me the details of both foot and shoe anatomy, which helps facilitate communication with minimalist shoe companies. Finally, John has been a tireless advocate of barefoot running. I’m also excited because he also champions a paleo diet, which I have been experimenting with for several months.
Since John is planning this as a yearly event, I hope Barefoot Rick and Ken Bob can make it next year! Speaking of Ken Bob, check out his book that will be released in the near future! Ken Bob is barefoot running… I predict his long-overdue book will become the de facto tool used by new barefoot runners to learn the necessary skills required to run barefoot.
For my readers- are you planning on attending?